This article walks through the step-by-step guide required to install Emgage products. Most of the process is automated, however, there are a few manual steps that need to be performed to ensure a successful install.
Time requirement: 30 minutes - 1 hour (dependent upon machine resources and the number of site collections being deployed to)
Before you Install
Review the Pre-Installation Checklist to confirm all required permissions and service URLs are accessible.
- Extract the contents of the Installer zip package on the local drive of each SharePoint Web Front End server.
- Locate the 'SQL Prerequisites Dependency' folder.
- Run the SQLSysClrTypes.msi installer package located in the 'SQL Prerequisites Dependancy' folder. If the installer provides you with a Repair or Remove option, please select Repair.
- Run the SharedManagementObjects.msi installer package located in the 'SQL Prerequisites Dependancy' folder. If the installer provides you with a Repair or Remove option, please select Repair.
- Repeat Steps 1 through 5 for all WFE (Web Front End) servers.
- Locate the Setup.exe file located in the extracted Prime installer package provided by Emgage support.
NOTE: While running the installer your SharePoint environment will experience downtime while the new solutions deploy. This is typically in the range of 10 - 20 minutes, however for a large farm where multiple web applications/site collections will be receiving the product, this could take much longer. Please plan accordingly.
- Run the Setup.exe file as an Administrator (Right-click the Setup.exe file and select the Run as Administrator option). This will launch the installer, which will walk you through the product installation.
NOTE: If the following warning message displays after selecting the Setup.exe file, it is because the file was downloaded from the internet. You must unblock the file (Right-click the Setup.exe file, select Properties, then select Unblock on the General tab.
- The first screen of the installer will list the solutions that will be deployed to your SharePoint environment. First Accept the terms and conditions, then Click on Next to proceed.
- The installer will perform a system check to ensure all the required perquisites are met. When complete, Click on Next to proceed.
If any of these fails the check please go to the Prerequisites Check article to learn how you can remove it.
- Confirm the desired Database Server name has been pre-populated. Enter the User Name and Password of a SQL Authenticated User that has "dbcreator" and "securityadmin" roles. If you need help creating an account please see our Prerequisites Check article (scroll down to "Microsoft SQL Server Mixed Mode authentication" and subsequent section)
- Once all required fields are filled in, click on Validate. This will confirm a successful connection can be made using the supplied DB and User info. Upon successful validation, click on Create Database. Once the required databases have been successfully created, please click on Next to proceed.
NOTE: there may be a lag time before the buttons are enabled during this step
- You will be taken to the Database Setup screen to create SQL databases required to store product licenses for Emgage Products. You may leave the default Database Name, User, and Password or make changes. Please be sure to jot down the credentials. After all desired changes have been made, click on OK to proceed.
- You will be taken to the Site Collection Deployment screen where you may choose which Web Applications and Site Collections you'd like to auto-activate the Emgage products.
You may choose all the Site Collections in a specific Web Application by clicking o the checkbox in front of the Web Application name, or you may select a specific Site Collection by expanding the Web Application (click the "+").
You can always run the Installer, selecting the Activation option to activate Emgage products on additional Site Collections after the initial installation. Alternatively, you may activate individual Emgage features on a Site Collection of your choice after the installation.
Once you are done with your selections please click on Next to proceed.
- The installer will run. First, the Emgage product solutions will be deployed. During this time your environment will experience downtime. Typically this downtime ranges from 10 - 30 minutes, depending on the number of WFE's on your environment and how well resourced they are.
- After the solution deployment step completes, Emgage products will be activated on Web Application or Site Collections selected in the Site Collection Deployments step. Your environment will not experience downtime during product activation and should be accessible.
- Upon completion, the installer will also display a success message and attempt to open the Emgage Product Licensing page in the default browser of the machine. You can now click on Close to exit the Installer.
- After you complete the installation, please proceed to validating and configuring Emgage products at the Post Install Configuration article.